The implant is placed under the skin on the posterior aspect of the ear by means of a special implanter available from Intervet Inc.
With the animal suitably restrained, the skin on the outer surface of the ear should be cleaned.
SITE OF IMPLANTATION
After appropriately restraining the animal to allow access to the ear, cleanse the skin at the implant needle puncture site. It is subcutaneous between the skin and cartilage on the back side of the ear and below the midline of the ear. The implant must not be placed closer to the head than the edge of the cartilage ring farthest from the head. The location of insertion of the needle is a point toward the tip of the ear and at least a needle length away from the intended deposition site. Care should be taken to avoid injuring the major blood vessels or cartilage of the ear.
Fig 1. Ear of Bovine Ready for Implantation
Fig 2. Rear view of the Bovine Ear showing the site for insertion of the implanter needle.
1. Do not remove the cap of the cartridge containing the implants.
2. Place the cartridge (D) with the capped end to the front into slot at the top of the implanter magazine marked (A) on the diagram.
3. Gently push the cartridge into the slot until it clicks into place.
4. The implanter is then ready for use.
5. Take the ear of the animal firmly with the free hand in the manner shown in Fig. 1. Then insert the needle into the subcutaneous tissue at the point indicated in Fig. 2.
6. After inserting the needle to its full extent, squeeze the trigger (E) gradually. Allow the pellets of the implant to be deposited in a single row.
7. Withdraw the implanter. This will advance the cartridge one groove in the magazine and the next implant is now ready for use.
8. When all the implants have been administered, the cartridge will discharge out the bottom of the magazine and may be replaced by a new one.
9. To change the needle, loosen the needle locking nut labeled (F) in Fig. 3 and replace the needle. Tighten the nut finger tight and the implanter is ready for use.
Fig. 3 - Diagram of the Implanter and Cartridge