Holiday Safety Tips for Pets

Lights, decorations and toys are a wonderful part of the holidays. But if you have pets, you need to take special precautions to make sure they’re safe. Keeping your furry family members safe during the holidays can be a difficult task. There are the ornaments, plants, presents, and lights. Let’s take a look at some simple steps that will allow your pets to join in the holiday fun this year, while avoiding any trips to the animal emergency room and to ensure that your family’s holiday season is happy, healthy and hazard-free:

Fasten all decorations securely, with the more fragile ones at the top and far from your pets reach. Dogs who chew these can suffer cuts in their mouth from broken ornaments and decorations.Place holiday plants out of reach and vacuum often. Poinsettias can cause drooling, oral pain, and vomiting. Mistletoe causes vomiting, labored breathing, shock, and death from cardiovascular collapse. When animals eat the needles from real or fake trees, they can also get intestinal blockage.

Display candles on high shelves to avoid painful burns and singed whiskers. Also, make sure that all electrical cords are tucked out of reach. Electrocution can put a huge damper on Holiday festivities. For those buying a live Christmas trees this year, keep the area free and clear of pine needles. While they may not seem dangerous, the needles can puncture your pet’s intestines if ingested.

When gift wrapping, be sure to keep your pet away. Wrapping paper, string, plastic, or cloth could cause intestinal blockages. Scissors are another hazard, and they should be kept off floors or low tables. Reduce your dog’s stress by maintaining its regular feeding and exercise routine. Develop a routine for your dog during holiday parties. A special treat in a special room of your house works well. Pet calming medications, like Adaptil D.A.P Dog Appeasing Pheromone Diffuser and HomeoPet Anxiety Relief can come in handy when guests are coming over, as well as for Holiday travels!

Stow chocolate candy or baking ingredients out of reach. Chocolate is the most common toxicity treat during the holidays. Small amounts cause problems. Larger amounts can cause above normal heart rhythms, nervous system malfunctions, and even death. Secure your garbage in bins with tight lids. (This is a good habit to get into all year!) A dog can chew up holiday garbage, which can result in intestinal problems.
Tell guests not to share indulgences with your pet. Poultry skin, fat trimmings, rich gravies, and buttery sauces can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, or even worse, a life threatening inflammation of the pancreas. Also, remember that an ounce of alcoholic beverage can put a small dog into a coma.

Keeping your pet safe these holidays will ensure a happy and festive celebration with each and every member of your family! Happy Holidays from Allivet!

Share This:Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

About author View all posts


admin, Trusted Pet Pharmacy Since 1992. supplies everything from prescription, non-prescription medication for farm and companion animals, pet medication, pet flea control, pet vitamins, veterinarian diagnostic devices, equine supplements & medications, equine performance products, equine vaccines, and much more at highly affordable prices.

Leave a Reply