6 Tips to Prevent Pets from Starting Fires

6 Tips to Prevent Pets from Starting Fires

Can your pet start a fire? Not many people realize it but dogs and cats can and do start fires. That’s right! According to the National Fire Protection Association, “Pets and wild animals have a part in starting about 700 home fires per year. Roughly three-quarters of these fires were started by cooking equipment, fireplaces or chimneys, lighting, or candles.”*

This issue is so important that we want to share these six safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:

  1. Pets are curious. They may bump into, turn on, or knock over cooking equipment. Keep pets away from stoves and countertops.
  2. Keep pets away from candles, lamps, and space heaters.
  3. Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace and keep it in place.
  4. Keep pets away from a chimney’s outside vents. Have a “pet-free zone” of at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from the fireplace. Glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.
  5. Consider battery-operated, flameless candles. They can look and smell like real candles.
  6. Some pets are chewers. Watch pets to make sure they don’t chew through electrical cords. Have any problems checked by a professional.

Please safeguard your home, family and pets by following these tips.

Do you have a pet fire safety tip?

Please share it with us in the comments section.

 

*Pet Safety Tips. (2016) http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/resources/safety-tip-sheets  Accessed on June 22, 2016.

Share This:Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Email this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.