Poisonous Foods For Pets

Poisonous Foods for Pets

We all love giving our pets a little treat. But did you know that some foods that are harmless to humans can be extremely poisonous for pets? We have compiled a list of foods you should keep out of your furbaby’s reach. The following foods can be very poisonous to pets: 

  • Alcoholic beverages– Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.
  • Xylitol- This artificial sweetener is found in candy, gum, and sugar-free products. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to recumbency and seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.
  • Chocolate, Coffee, and Caffeine– contain methylxanthines which can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death.
  • Onions, Garlic, Chives– these can cause gastrointestinal irritation and lead to red blood cell damage. Very dangerous for cats, can also be dangerous for dogs if consumed in large doses.

Other foods that are dangerous for pets are:

Apple seeds
Apricot pits
Avocados
Cherry pits
Grapes
Gum
Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Macadamia nuts
Mushroom plants
Mustard seeds
Onions and onion powder
Peach pits
Potato leaves and stems
Raisins
Rhubarb leaves
Salt
Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
Walnuts
Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
Yeast dough

Share This:Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Email this to someone

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.